The popularity of Dell laptops and Dell monitors has grown significantly in the past decade. The quality of these products has also improved, but with any new Dell accessories purchased or brought into your house, you may find yourself wondering, “Do Dell monitors have speakers?”
You probably want to consider desktop speakers if you plan to use monitors to listen to music, play games, or watch movies.
You can connect this output to your external speakers through RCA cables or cables with 3.5mm connectors.
Does the Dell monitor have speakers?
There are no speakers on Dell monitors, but they can play sound easily. Using an HDMI port on your monitor, you can simultaneously connect the audio output of your Dell laptop or desktop to show graphics and connect the audio.
Read on to find out how to set up your Dell monitor’s speakers and troubleshoot other problems with your monitor’s audio system.
A guide to setting up Dell monitor speakers
You will need an HDMI cable and speakers to connect external speakers to your Dell monitor.
Ensure the external speakers you decide to use have HDMI outputs, not headphones. This is because Dell monitors do not have headphone jacks.
Here’s how you set up your speakers:
- Connect your computer and speakers with the HDMI cable.
- Click “Sound” in the taskbar in the bottom right corner of your screen after starting your computer.
- A list of audio output devices will appear in a pop-up menu. Select the speakers from the list. A speaker or headphone usually has a label such as “Speakers/Headphones.”
- Check the volume on the device to see if it is muted. Select the “Open Volume Mixer” option in the new menu when you right-click on the Sound icon. Your audio devices will be displayed in a window, and you’ll be able to see whether your speakers are muted and how loud they are compared to your other audio devices.
Now, your speakers should be able to produce sound. You should ensure that you selected the correct audio output device if you’re having any problems with sound coming from the speakers.
What monitors have built-in speakers?
You can choose from a variety of monitors that have built-in speakers. Many well-known monitor manufacturers, including HP, Acer, BenQ, Samsung, and Dell, manufacture integrated speakers. Here are the best ones:
- Dell S2419H
- HP 23.8 VH240a
- Acer G247HYL
What Dell monitors have built-in speakers?
You can use the Dell S2419H 24′′ Full HD monitor’s speakers for audio when you purchase certain Dell monitors. Due to their discontinued status, these monitors are hard to find, and new ones are not likely to be available.
Where can I find out if my monitor has built-in speakers?
The ‘Playback devices’ menu, found within the “Sounds” icon in the bottom right of the desktop screen, lists which devices have audio output devices like speakers.
Sometimes it is hard to tell whether your monitor comes with built-in speakers just by looking at it, but you can check by right-clicking this icon. There will be a name associated with your monitor if it has speakers.
What is the problem with my monitor’s sound?
You might be experiencing problems with your speakers if you have set them up, but there is no sound coming from them. Try these simple things before you go to more complex solutions:
- Look at your computer’s audio settings to see if they are muted. Check the “Sound” icon found in the bottom right corner of the desktop.
- Verify that your speaker device is not on mute in your PC’s settings by following the above setup steps.
- Make sure the HDMI cable is connected. You can try unplugging and plugging the cable again to fix a loose connection or fix it by loosening the cable.
- You can test the speakers on another computer or laptop to see if the speakers themselves are the problem.
You may be experiencing an issue with your speakers or connection if you try these and still cannot hear audio from your speakers.
Do display ports support audio?
There are several advanced audio features on display ports, including multi-channel audio.
Like HDMI cables, DisplayPorts can transmit more signals simultaneously due to their higher bandwidth. Using a DisplayPort is very useful if you have more than one monitor or speaker.
How to connect speakers to a Dell monitor using DisplayPort?
As DisplayPort cables are backward compatible, you will need to make sure your device is compatible and your speaker will work with your DisplayPort.
An active or passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter might be useful if you cannot connect a DisplayPort.
Here’s how to connect your speakers:
- Search for “Sound Settings” in the Windows search bar.
- Find out what audio output devices your computer has under “Output devices” by using the drop-down menu. Select your speakers from the list.
- Ensure that your speaker’s “Master volume” is not muted. In addition, if your speakers do not appear in the drop-down menu or if you are having connections issues, you can click on “Manage sound devices.” for more features.
Check if your graphics card or chip’s driver has been updated recently; it may resolve the problem if you’re having trouble getting sound from your speakers through the DisplayPort. Make sure your devices are connected to the right DisplayPort cable.
Buying a monitor with built-in speakers may be an advantage because you can merely plug and play, but it can be problematic if the monitor doesn’t come with speakers.
You can easily add sound to your monitor with a pair of computer speakers if it doesn’t have built-in speakers.
A standard 3.5mm audio cable (also known as an RCA or phono connector) can be used to connect them to your monitor’s audio output (the green port).
With this setup, it’s important to ensure that the volume is not too high on either the speakers or your PC. Plugging computer speakers into a monitor via cable leaves you with other options if you want built-in audio.
Want to Read more?