Most of the smart cams on the market do not offer as many features as the Wyze cams, which are about a third of the cost of the other smart cams.
It is known that they are prone to errors that can be frustrating. Wyze error code 90 is one of the most common ones.
How to resolve the Wyze error code 90 issue?
Your cam is offline if you receive a Wyze error code 90. Restart your camera to resolve the issue. Reinitialize the camera by unplugging it, waiting 15 seconds, and plugging it back in.
If that doesn’t work, the camera’s SD card may need to be flashed with new firmware.
1. Power cycle Wyze cam
The Wyze support website explains that error code 90 indicates an issue with internet connectivity, which will require a power cycle of the webcam.
An electronic device is simply power cycled by turning it off completely. It is usually necessary to disconnect the power source to perform this function.
Power cycling is a good first step when troubleshooting since it resets a device and is a quick test.
You can power cycle your Wyze cam by following these steps:
- Remove the power cable from the camera. Alternatively, it can be connected to the wall.
- The camera must be completely discharged after 15 seconds.
- Let the camera restart after reconnecting to the power source.
2. Verify your internet connection
If power cycling your Wyze cam does not resolve your problem, Wyze recommends checking your internet connection next. Ensure that you are connected to the internet and that your Wi-Fi is working.
Make sure you can use the Web and search on your phone by pulling up Google with Wi-Fi turned on.
Our recommendation will be to power cycle your router/modem if you suspect something is wrong with your internet.
Plug it back in after 60 full seconds after unplugging your router/modem. Let your router reestablish its connection for several minutes.
Go ahead and test your Wyze cam again once you see everything glowing green on your router/modem.
Wyze error code 90 is hopefully no longer a problem, but if it is, you might want to attempt some more of these proven fixes.
3. Restart the camera after deleting it
Users who encountered Wyze error code 90 and internet connectivity issues could resolve them by deleting their cameras from the Wyze app and then reinstalling them.
Before flashing new firmware to your camera’s SD card, you should definitely try this first. It only takes a few minutes.
You can delete your camera by following these steps exactly:
- You will find a gear icon in the upper right corner of the Wyze app.
- Then click Delete Device (bottom of Device Settings).
- Click ‘Yes’ when a pop-up window appears.
- Now, the yellow LED of the camera should flash when the device is unplugged.
- Hold down the reset button for 15-20 seconds when the Wyze cam has finished rebooting or until you hear “Ready to connect.”
- Click on New Device in the Wyze app, then select Wyze Cam.
- Connect to your Wi-Fi network by entering the name and password.
- Scan the QR code you see on your phone with your Wyze cam.
- Once you have completed the app’s setup, name your camera, and you’re done.
4. Update firmware on SD card
To this point, we have done everything we can to avoid flashing new firmware onto the camera’s SD card while trying to fix error code 90.
Looking at how far downward you are, you can probably see that the power cycling and deleting cam fixes haven’t helped you.
It often happens that Wyze releases new firmware for their cameras, and the firmware has a bug that causes your camera to malfunction temporarily.
Wyze even acknowledges that they had released firmware before it was ready for primetime in the past.
The solution is to flash the SD card of your Wyze cam with an older version of the firmware. The older versions of this software worked, and the newer ones did not.
Let’s talk a little bit about your SD card before we begin. FAT32 has had trouble with drives over 32GB in the past. If you have trouble with the steps below, you might want to try a smaller card, say 8GB.
Follow these exact steps for reflashing your SD card:
- Using the Wyze app, format the SD card (note: you MUST format the MicroSD card as FAT or FAT32 first otherwise, this process will not work/never work).
- (For SD cards to be used in computers, an adaptor may first need to be attached to the SD card.)
- Download an older version of the Wyze camera firmware here (you can find all the appropriate versions by searching for your exact product and then clicking on it to download it).
- You must rename the downloaded file to “demo.bin” after it has been downloaded.
- Install the demo.bin file on your SD card.
- Remove the Wyze cam from the wall, and then insert the SD card into the camera again.
- Reconnect the Wyze camera.
- Keep holding the reset button on the cam for a few minutes (be patient, it may take a few minutes).
- The reset button can be released after hearing “Ready to connect.
- Reset your camera in the app now.
5. Create a Wyze support ticket
You should contact Wyze directly if you have trouble reflashing your SD card or having issues using your Wyze cam.
To do so, simply submit a support ticket, and a member of their team will contact you as soon as possible.
You should get help once someone has been assigned to handle your case and resolve error code 90.
There are a lot of great features in Wyze cams, which are priced at a percentage of the price of other smart cameras.
There are many frustrating errors known to occur with these cams. Wyze error code 90 is one of them.
Your cam is offline, which is why you are seeing this error. You can always contact Wyze directly with a support ticket if nothing else is working. What works for you out of the fixes listed above? Please share your experience with us.